Flank Steak, the prime cut of steak for anyone who enjoys some ass. Well, cow ass specifically. I would be concerned if you came to a cooking blog and got moist in the mouth for just any ass. If I just described you, this might not be the kind of post you are looking for and we will have to ask that you don’t put anything in the comment section.
But, ahh, yes, back to Flank Steak.
Flank steak is most notably used for applications that require a thin slice of steak that is REALLY tender. PERFECT for Steak Fajitas. Welcome back to Kitchen Catastrophe, where we attempt to make god damn great fajitas. Alan here, Jon is off swimming in a kiddy pool full of empty beer cans. God bless him.
What Flank steak, more so then other kind, is marinating. So this recipe starts 8 hours before you start actually cooking. First step: wake up in the morning and hate yourself a little for choosing to make something great. Second step make the marinade. This marinade is made from about 2/3 of a bunch of cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, orange juice, and a whole bunch of other spices. The ratios can be found at the bottom. Take the flank steak and punch it a bit to make the steak as flat as possible. Nothing like punch a meat punching bag to wake you up in the morning. Put the steak and the marinade in a ceramic bowel, cover, and then put in the refrigerator. Then go about your day!
Just think what you could do in 8 hours? You could go to work. If you are dull. Or you can go on a hike! Or take a short road trip! Or be really bad at completing all of Portal in one shot!
Whatever you decide to do, Come back after your long and rewarding day and pull out that flank steak out of the refrigerator. Now, if you are a better man then I, then you will have a grill that you can have all of your closest friends stand next to and let you know that they appreciate your effort. I only have a stove top grill. And no friends. Except for the fire alarm that will yell at me as I try to grill inside. It’s not a healthy relationship.
Once your grilling surface has been heated up, slam that marinated flank steak down onto it and let it sizzle. Allowing it to sit for about 5 min on each side to allow a medium rare steak, cook more for desired rarity. If you like shoe leather for a steak, I can’t stop you, but I will judge you. Harshly.
Slice the steak into thin strips and then dice those thin strips into small cubes. You know have the perfect carne asada meat to begin your taco adventure. Whip up some pico de gallo by chopping up the rest of the cilantro, and onion, and tomato, and you will have the perfect garnish as well.
Carne asada tacos
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped canned chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 pound flank stead
- Combine the orange, lemon, and lime juice in a large glass or ceramic bowl along with the garlic, soy sauce, chipotle pepper, chili power, ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano, black pepper, and cilantro. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until marinade is well combined. Remove one cup of the marinade and place in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for use after the meat is cooked.
- Place the flank steak between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound the steak with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of 1/4 inch. After pounding, poke steak all over with a fork. Add the meat to the marinade in the large bowl, cover, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Discard used marinade. Remove meat from heat and slice across the grain.
- Pour the one cup of reserved, unused marinade over the hot meat and serve immediately.